Home > Business Building, Entrepreneurship, Success > Being An Entrepreneur Is Not About Conformity!

Being An Entrepreneur Is Not About Conformity!

Absolute conformity seems to be a current hot topic among many NSE leaders these days. The chatter has gotten so loud in fact, that some are sending this message—if you don’t follow their particular system you will fail. You, like so many of us, probably chose to start your business specifically to get away from the herd mentality or perhaps being a slave to a job. In doing so we all freely elected to become entrepreneurs. We wanted more than simply generating an income stream to replace traditional employment. We were looking for rapid wealth creation and were willing to accept the high risks associated with such a venture. To think that if you don’t follow one person’s system means you are destined for failure is pure fallacy.

If there was only one way to do our business it would probably have been discovered and perfected long ago. And if that had happened, the opportunities which attracted us to this business in the first place, would have already dried up. It has always amazed me that some leaders are adamant that it is either their way or the highway when it comes to being successful. Please don’t confuse this with meaning you should ignore the training, mentoring and coaching available from leaders in your organization. (see my post Just Like Having A Set Of Training Wheels) I just believe blind conformity is almost never a good thing. It’s just like having a job, being told when to show up and told what to do.

If there were only one path to success where would new ideas come from? The best ideas, most likely, haven’t even been thought of yet. Compare that same thinking to past innovations. We used to only contact prospects by phone or in person. Should we have forgone email, auto-responders, or websites as additional tools to aid in business building? What about today’s social networking? Or what about Craig Bryson’s Vugrid technology that is going to again fundamentally change the way we do the business? The core of what we do to create a business network hasn’t changed during our 13 years and probably never will. That is simply to invite, present, enroll, train and duplicate the process as many times as required to help yourself and others in your organization reach their goals. Even as those fundamentals remain the same, the approaches and methods for how those steps are accomplished have and will continue to evolve.

One of our mentors, Dennis Clifton, compares following a leader or system to driving down a highway. You don’t want to stay constantly on the centerline or veer too far to the left or right. You do want to stay within the white line and the yellow line on your side of the road. This means you have the freedom to move around a bit, experimenting as you go, while still remaining true to the course you set and the guidance provided.

To be a truly successful entrepreneur, at some point you will have to become your own leader. Does this mean abandoning what you have learned or what your leadership is doing? Not necessarily. But it does mean that as you mature in your business you will naturally want to test new ideas and innovate.

Nu Skin’s CEO, Truman Hunt, recently commented—“I have come to believe that this business is truly the ultimate test of entrepreneurial desire, creativity, leadership, ambition, tenacity, and courage.” He went on to say —“You are truly the world’s most incredible entrepreneurs—leaders who laugh at rejection, overcome all odds, never surrender, and have fun while doing it.”

Does that sound like conformity to you?

Creative Commons License
Being An Entrepreneur Is Not About Conformity! by The Kaufman Post, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

1. March 24th, 2010 at 22:54 | #1

Excellent post!

2. Stacie
    March 24th, 2010 at 23:10 | #2

WOW!!! It is so good to know that we are not alone in how we feel about some of the words used towards us in this biz. I have come under fire for “not following the system” when in reality I have just chosen to add an element of my own flavor and creative style which has increased my organization and the strength of my team. Your analogy of the highway and the painted lines is awesome!!! Your article is so inspiring and encouraging, thank you!

3. March 26th, 2010 at 10:34 | #3

@Monte Schumacher
    Thanks Monte. You and I agree that as independent business owners, everyone needs to be aware of their options and know that success is not always defined by a single system.

4. March 26th, 2010 at 10:39 | #4

@Stacie
    Stacie, so glad that the post reinforced your belief in yourself and your team. Sounds like you are well on your way to being a strong, successful leader.

5. March 26th, 2010 at 12:41 | #5

Wow!! How timely this message was. To be candid, I was becoming discontent and restless with the idea “My way or the highway” dictation that has surfaced. I have experienced being both in corporate America and being an Entrepreneur. I have learned a degree of freedom for me is essential. I did NOT buy a franchise. I signed up to be an Entrepreneur with the greatest opportunity and company in the world. When someone asks me now, “Is this net work marketing?”, I am totally comfortable with answering, “If it weren’t and did not involve a Rock Solid Company, then I wouldn’t be doing this. I want freedom to control my destiny and build my future as an Entrepreneur as a partner with Nu Skin .”

6. March 26th, 2010 at 13:55 | #6

Dick, thanks for adding your comments to the conversation. You are one of many who have similar thoughts and desires when it comes to controlling their future.

7. seeking moms
    March 30th, 2010 at 07:46 | #7

couldn’t agree more. we all gotta blaze out own trail.

8. March 30th, 2010 at 15:33 | #8

Thanks for your feedback. Always good to hear from like minded entrepreneurs.

9. Willing Tan
    May 10th, 2010 at 09:50 | #9

This reminds me that in our business, the so called “way” is merely the
    road between the yellow lines and it is our leadership as entrepreneurs to
    Make the necessary adjustments within those lines. Some of us want a
    System or a “way” so that we can avoid the challenges of making those
    Adjustments, but unfortunately or fortunately we can’t always do it. Thanks
    For a great sharing and reassurance of my direction and leadership. :)

10. TB
    May 10th, 2010 at 17:36 | #10

I think you’ve misinterpreted guidance and coaching for instruction. System 7 is simply tool being shared with NSE to help us focus. The intent is to help with success and eliminate the negativity that seems to loom over the networking industry. Having been self-employed for 23 years, and only into this industry for 1 year – I find this routine financially rewarding. Best of luck to all!

11. May 11th, 2010 at 20:20 | #11

TB,

It is terrific that you have found a system which works well for you. Keep in mind that one of the keys to anyone’s long term success in this business is to build a very strong organization that is consumption based. The comp plan is built to reward leadership with the true residual money coming from having a large group of people using a blended variety of products. Best of success to you.

12. May 11th, 2010 at 20:24 | #12

Williing, Thanks for your comments. Glad that this post was beneficial to you. Sounds to me like you are well on your way to creating a very successful business and are stepping into your own leadership.

1. March 24th, 2010 at 21:26 | #1